Peak UK Chart Position: #1 in September 1996.
Born in Harrow, London, but relocated to Sydney aged six, today sees the 44th birthday of Peter James Andrea – better known as Peter Andre. He was offered his first recording contract (worth $146,000) after appearing on Australian talent show New Faces aged just 16, and three years later scored a number three hit down under with “Gimme Little Sign”. He returned to live in the UK after scoring a number two hit (at the second attempt) with “Mysterious Girl” in 1996 – a track which would finally top the chart on its third release in 2004.
- “Flava” debuted at number one on the UK charts on 8th September 1996, displacing “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls after seven weeks on top.
- It was his third top forty hit, and his first of three UK number ones. It would end up as the 33rd best selling single of 1996.
- The track features a guest appearance by American rapper Cee.
- Andre has scored a total of nine top ten hits in the UK – many possibly forgotten – including “All About Us” and “Natural” in 1997, “Kiss The Girl” in 1998, and “Insania” in 2004.
- In June 2013, “Mysterious Girl” became the UK’s 135th million seller, with the most recent total sales reported at 1,030,000 copies.
Here, Dennis Pennis (remember him?) introduces Andre’s Top of the Pops performance from 14th September 1996 – a show that also featured Rocket From The Crypt, Skunk Anansie, and Deep Blue Something in the studio.