Peak UK Chart Position: #13 in May 1989.
Anthony Terrell Smith celebrates his 51st birthday today – the man better known as Tone Lōc. He had two huge hit singles in the late 80s, both “Wild Thing” and “Funky Cold Medina” going top three on the US Billboard Hot 100, with “Wild Thing” also topping the dance, and R&B charts. The parent album “Lōc-ed After Dark” was also an American chart topper. He is also both a character and vocal actor, having appeared in several feature films and provided his voice for several US cartoon series characters.
- In the States, “Funky Cold Medina” was Lōc’s second million seller, peaking one place lower than “Wild Thing” at number three.
- On the UK charts, it was this track that fared better, getting to number 13, whilst “Wild Thing” only managed number 21.
- It was a double-A sided single with “On Fire”, a track that was originally released in 1987 (without success).
- The lyrics describe “Medina” as a love potion, which spawned several cocktails of the same name as the song.
- The song has been covered and parodied many times, including by Irish puppet star Dustin The Turkey, who recorded “Funky Ford Cortina”.
Here’s Lōc performing the track on Daytona Beach, with Samantha Fox as one of the hosts of ‘MTV Spring Break’ alongside American actor Brian Robbins.